Chicon 7 Mobile Support - Introduction
Chicon 7 has partnered with
to present the convention schedule in an online application for handheld devices. The app is available for iPhone, iPad, and Android phones and tablets through the iTunes App Store and Google Play.
Accessing the App
If you have a suitable device, you can download the app as follows.
- If you have an Apple device, you can download the app via the iTunes store.
- If you have an Android device, you can access the app via Google Play. Note that the App is only available for Android version 2.2 and later.
For more information
, please read our Frequently Asked Questions
For those who don't have a suitable Android or Apple device,
Finnish fan Eemeli Aro has also developed a browser-based version of the program guide
. This is an unofficial piece of software, but we think it's a great idea and recommend it to those who want a fast way to browse the program on mobile devices.
The Chicon 7 app is an enhanced version of the software that was previously used for Renovation
, the 2011 Worldcon. Functionality includes:
- Full program schedule with item descriptions, times and locations
- Program participant list, linked into program schedule
- Social media integration
- Hotel maps.
A key improvement from Renovation is that the app now comes with an integrated version of the program database, enabling it to be used offline. The app can be re-synchronised with the convention's central database under user control to provide the latest version of the information.
Known issues with the Chicon 7 app are as follows.
- Some program participants are not showing up
This is due to a minor coordination issue between the program and app development teams. We are working on it and expect the problem to be resolved before the start of the convention.
- Rotating the screen leaves a patch of blue
This should resolve itself quickly but if not, restart the app.
- Zoom isn't working
We could not get zoom to work on the iPhone and Android platforms - sorry!
Unfortunately, we were unable to implement a Search feature successfully into the
app by the time it had to be submitted.
- Phone models with known problems
Different Android models work differently and due to the large number of available models,
it's impossible to test all of them. If you have problems on your device, please let us know at
support AT viafo.com. The models that we know are problematic are:
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Acro
- Asus Transformer Prime
- Samsung Galaxy S (runs but very slowly)